Livestrong, the digital intersection of food and fitness, has produced a great list of America’s most eaten foods. The survey used the website’s built-in “MyPlate” tool to gather eating data on the some 4.5 million members of the online community. This is about 1.5% of the United States’ population and while it could be argued that these specific users are slightly more food conscious and nutrition-oriented than the average American, I think it stands as an accurate representation of how many of us eat.
Here are the top 5:
- 5. Chicken Breast: Although chicken might not be the first protein that comes to mind when we start thinking about dinner, a conservative estimate shows some 8 bilion chickens are eaten every year in America. The chicken is a descendant of the Southeast Asian red jungle fowl, first domesticated in India around 2000 B.C. With such a long history, there’s not wonder why this is a staple in homes across the world. Here is an easy chicken breast recipe to help mix it up: Curry Chicken Salad
- 4. Coffee: Although the exact date is hard to pinpoint, coffee has been used for its stimulating and delicious effects for hundreds of years and in more recent history has been praised for its health benefits. Members at Livestrong reported hundreds of thousands of coffee related indulgences in just one month, 70% of those in the morning, around breakfast. As the weather warms up, here is our favorite way to make a good, clean cup of coffee: Cold Brew
- 3. Bananas: The classic flavor and valuable texture bananas provide keeps us coming back and trying to put them in everything. Here’s a great way to get your Vitamin C and Fiber before you even leave the house: Banana Buckwheat Pancakes
- 2. Milk: The United States regularly produces an astronomical 129,000,000 gallons of milk, every month of every year. Milk is generally thought be a good source of calcium, protein and vitamins. Feeling dairy-experimental? Here’s some interesting facts and a home recipe for buttermilk: The Benefits of Buttermilk
- 1. Eggs: One reason that eggs may be our most eaten food item on this list is their sheer versatility. Although there is an interesting connection between how much chicken we eat and how many eggs, the two industries exist as separate entities. I’m not sure there is a time of day that I could not eat an egg. From sweet to savory, from morning till night.