Fish is one of the greatest proteins you can eat. Packed with naturally-occurring Omega-3 fatty acids, this kind of fatty acid is believed to lower your cholesterol. After making sure to choose a sustainable breed, it’s time to pick out your fish. Choosing a fresh and healthy fish makes all the difference. Here are the 5 easy ways to check for the best possible fish at the market.
1. The fish’s skin should be bright and shiny, and with scales intact.
2. The eye should be shiny and convex, not cloudy or caved in.
3. The gills should be brightly colored, moist and full of blood.
4. The flesh should be firm and resistant to the touch. The skin should not be slimy.
5. Smell the fish. It should have a clean, fresh odor, like the ocean. It should NOT smell fishy.
Okay! Now it’s time to cook. For a healthy preparation, broil or bake the fish. Serve with a whole-grain and a side of dark, leafy greens.
What’s your favorite way to prepare fish?
Photo:Â The Daily Ornellas on flickr