Between the rising price of coffee and the addictive nature of the beverage, you might be considering switching to a new morning brew. Although coffee can be a complex, delicious beverage, its caffeine kick can be problematic for some drinkers. Once addicted, quitting coffee can be difficult and unpleasant. Try these five all-natural alternatives for your morning buzz.
1. Kombucha: This fermented tea is a delicious alternative to coffee that you can even make yourself! Great for a weekend project, one batch of kombucha makes several days worth of refreshing drink, and you can make your own special blend of tea. If making your own is not for you, try Kombucha Wonder Drink or Kombucha Brooklyn.
2. Green tea: Low in caffeine and high in antioxidants, green tea is a good transition away from coffee. With a wide-range of flavor profiles, including grassy, sweet, and bitter, green tea is suitable for both breakfast and after dinner drinking.
3. Yerba Mate: Similar in flavor to green tea, yerba mate comes from South America. Yerba mate has about half the caffeine of coffee, so still moderate your intake. To spice it up, mix in cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg for a warming chai.
4. Rooibos tea: Brilliant red and spicy, rooibos tea is a popular South African beverage. Add a little honey for extra sweetness, and might like this drink even better than coffee. Caffeine free, rooibos tea is better for those already weaned off of multiple cups of coffee a day.
5. Cocoa powder: Without added sugar, cocoa powder is definitely healthier than hot chocolate. While it tastes a little bitter, a splash of milk tempers its bite. Mildly stimulating, cocoa powder is a fun alternative to java.
Have you given up coffee for another drink?