By Leah Riley
Snacking has become a big part of our culture whether you’re at the movies or just watching TV at home. All to often, however, snacking equates to not unhealthy eating.Â
There are generally two complaints when it comes to healthy eating: a) I don’t have the time to conjure up anything healthy and b) I need something for a quick boost of energy. Thankfully these 5 easy to prepare power snacks are sure to get you through the day with minimal effort.
1. Nuts: A handful of nuts is a great snack for when you’re on-the-go as it’s packed with protein and will help give you energy throughout the day. If you’re looking for an added boost and have 30 minutes to spare, spicing and baking the nuts with the 3 C’s of spice (cayenne, cumin and cinnamon) as well as adding flaxseed and sunflower seeds will be sure to add some zest to your snack.
2. Greek Yogurt: Another great protein treat is Greek yogurt. Packed with vitamins and calcium means it is a great healthy snack as well. Since it has become such a go-to item for healthy eating, it can be found easily in any grocery store but if you are feeling adventurous, go ahead and make it on your own. If you are worried you will tire of it quickly, try drizzling in some honey and cinnamon or even spread it on some toast!
3. Apples and Peanut Butter: Cut an apple into four quarters and remove the core parts from each. Serve with 2 tablespoons all-natural peanut butter (look for the kind that just lists two ingredients: peanuts and salt) and enjoy!
4. Avocados: Avocados are rich in unsaturated fats, which means they are good for your heart as well as for your skin. Eat an avocado halved, pitted, and straight from the skin with a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of sea salt.
5. Quick Cherry Tomato Whole-Grain Bruschetta: Lightly toast a slice of whole-grain bread and rub with a garlic clove. Spread 2 tablespoons ricotta on top, season with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Top with a handful of halved cherry tomatoes. Season again and enjoy!
Photographer: Lindsay Hunt