These inexpensive tools will take your cooking to the next level with a small investment.
1. Microplane – A microplane grater creates fine curls of whatever ingredient you wish to grate. From a lemon to parmesan cheese, this tool allows you to garnish a plate the way a professional chef does.
Microplane 40020 Grater/Zester
2. Digital Scale – A digital scale allows you to measure ingredients exactly. Essential for baking in the metric scale, a digital scale gives professional precision to any kitchen at a low price.
Taylor Biggest Loser 6-1/2 Pound Kitchen Scale with Glass Platform
3. Citrus Juicer Measuring Cup – Although this tool may seem redundant, I think it’s a fantastic asset in any kitchen. A sieve catches the pits, and the juice drains into a measuring cup. It’s great for juicing a few lemons or oranges, instead of getting out an automatic juicer.
Oxo Good Grips Citrus Juicer
4. Digital Thermometer – A piece of meat is only as good as the temperature at which it’s cooked. Save your chicken from dryness, and your luscious steak from overcooking with this precise digital thermometer.
Taylor 9842 Commercial Waterproof Digital Thermometer
5. Silicone Pastry Brush – Whether you’re brushing the skin of a roasted chicken with melted butter, or spreading egg wash on profiteroles ready to bake, a silicone pastry brush is the choice of professionals. Unlike a traditional bristle hair pastry brush, this won’t shed bristles into your food.
Oxo Good Grips Silicone Pastry Brush