While you might be still thinking about the best herbs for your Spring cocktails, Summer is quickly approaching which makes for easy healthy eating and refreshing salads. Try one of these top 5 spring and summer greens for a delicious salad.
1. Arugula: Arugula is a great addition to a spring salad as it gives a peppery and zesty flavor. Younger leaves are better to use as mature ones tend to be too bitter. If a salad isn’t up your alley, arugula is great when mixed in with a light pasta dish or sprinkled on top of pizza!
2. Mustard greens: If you’re looking to add some spicy tones to your salad, look no further than mustard greens. Leafy and perfect when complimented with crumbled blue cheese, this green is perfect for a refreshing salad in the summertime.
3. Dandelion greens: Much like arugula, young dandelion greens add a slightly bitter taste when used in salads while more mature leaves make for a great bed for grilled steak. Pair dandelion greens with saltier ingredients like anchovies or bacon that will really compliment this hearty salad.
4. Collards: Similar to its cousin kale, collard greens are one of the hardiest greens and great when cooked along with ham hocks. Raw leaves taste great when paired with mustard greens and spinach for a nice mixed green salad. Make sure to remove the rib in the center of the leaves, then slicing them thinly horizontally.
5. Beet Greens: One of my favorite greens, the tops of beets are a delicious way to use the entire plant. Beet greens make for a great salad when paired with blood oranges and sweet onions or with crumbled goat cheese. If you’re looking for a crowd pleasing dish to bring to a potluck, be sure to include this delicious green! They’re also delicious sauteed like kale or collard greens.