Get Fit for Summer!
Keeping healthy and staying fit should be a priority no matter what your age, and it helps to have a few anti-aging foods in your arsenal. While there may not be an actual Fountain of Youth, here are five foods that will help you age gracefully.Â
1. Fruits, especially those high in antioxidants, are not only a tasty snack but they are great for great weight loss. Low in calories and high in nutrients, fruits will help keep you feeling fit. Try blueberries, melon, rhubarb, peaches, and more as summer’s bounty appears at the markets.
2. Protein foods have always been high on the list of keeping you healthy. Why do you think your mom always told you to drink your milk? Dairy products like milk and yogurt help keep your bones strong and your blood pressure in check. When you get older, your muscle mass begins to decline by up to 1 percent a year, which in turn will slow down your metabolism and can make you gain weight more easily. Enough protein will keep your muscles strong and healthy, and the calcium in the dairy products will reinforce bone strength.
3. SalmonÂ and tuna are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a compound that contains anti-inflammatory effects. Omega-3s also help improve your mood and can make you feel more energetic. If you don’t love fish, you can also find omega-3s in walnuts and flaxseeds. Mix flaxseeds into smoothies for an extra boost to your morning breakfast.
4. Plan meals loaded with whole grains, with high-fiber content, they’re a great choice for a filling, healthy grain. They have a low glycemic index ranking, which means whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, or farro won’t affect your blood sugar levels as much as other foods. Whole grains aren’t just great as substitute for white rice or pasta. Eat bread laden with grains, or try a morning porridge of oats, quinoa, or brown rice. Whole grains can also help protect against heart diseases as well as high blood pressure.
5. Resveratrol is said to have healthy qualities such as counteracting cell death in the heart and brain as well as being an artery protector. Red wine contains resveratrol. as do peanuts, blueberries and cranberries. It helps protect blood vessels from damage, reduces the bad kind of cholesterol, and also prevents blood clots, not too bad!
Do you have favorite anti-aging foods?