It’s no surprise that I love cheese. I continually have blocks and wedges I use for snacks, as finger food for when guests come over and as a cooking ingredient. Sometimes I don’t get a chance to use all of it and I’m left with leftover cheese to use before it goes bad.
I had a small wedge of Manchego cheese and friends coming over for a potluck dinner and needed to make something quick and easy. The perfect solution was to dip slices of Manchego in paprika, flour and bread crumbs and fried them up for a fast and tasty appetizer. When my friends came over, it was the first thing to go! If you’re looking to wow your friends or book club with some tasty treats, look no further than with this fast and easy appetizer. These pair great with perfect for summer fruit salad and prosciutto with melon.
This recipe uses a basic breading batter, that would taste great on sliced zucchini, cherry tomatoes, or calamari. Make sure to cut the wedge of Manchego slices that are easy to pick up, but not too big to be more than bite-size.
Paprika Fried Manchego Slices Recipe
|Servings:||Makes 8-10 slices|
- 1/4 lb Manchego, cut into 1/4-inch thick wedges
- 1/4 cup flour
- Paprika, to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups mild-flavored oilfor frying, (enough so that the oil reaches 1-inch up the sides of the pan)
1. In each of three small, shallow bowls, place the flour and paprika together, the eggs in another bowl, and the breadcrumbs in the last.
2. Dip the cheese slices into the flour-paprika mixture, tapping lightly to remove excess flour. Dip the slices in the eggs, turning to coat. Lastly, dip the egg-covered slices in the breadcrumbs. Set the breaded slices on a plate lined with a clean towel and repeat with all slices until they are all breaded. Let the slices sit for up to 30 minutes,, which will encourage even browning and a crisp crust.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a 3-inch deep saute pan with straight sides. When the oil has reached 350 degrees, reduce the heat to low. Fry the slices, about 30 seconds to a side, turning once to encourage even cooking.
4. Transfer cooked slices to a plate lined with a clean towel. Lightly dry the slices and serve.