Exotic in a simple way, this satisfying dish is quite easy to prepare. Perfect with cornbread and a baked sweet potato dusted with cinnamon.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.
African Chicken and Collard Greens Recipe
|Calories:||300 per serving|
|Prep Time:||15 mins|
|Cook Time:||1 hour|
|Total Time:||1 hour and 15 mins|
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skin removed and discarded
- 1 extra-large yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 4 cups slices)
- 2 large cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 12 cups cleaned and chopped collard greens (about 3 large bunches or one 12-ounce bag)
- ½ - ¾ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Trim any fat from the chicken. Stir the garlic powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne together in a small bowl and rub into the chicken. Set aside.
2. Toss the onion slices and garlic together. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over the mixture and toss. Heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion mixture and cook until the onions begin to soften, 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not brown. Remove from the heat and remove the onions from the pan with a slotted spoon.
3. Gently rub the remaining tablespoon of oil into the chicken. Return the pot to the stove over medium heat. Lightly brown the chicken on all sides.
4. Mound the greens over the chicken. Sprinkle with the red pepper flakes and spread the onions over the greens. Pour the broth over the top and bring just to a simmer. Cover and transfer to the oven.
5. Bake for 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Serve immediately, spooning the juices over the top.