A few springs ago, I visited Argentina for a few months to take a little time off from my busy schedule and brush up on my Spanish. While in Argentina I fell in love with the culture, food, people, and wine. I went to a dozen Asados Argentinos (Argentine BBQs), ate tons of soft empanadas filled with beef, olives and hard boiled eggs, devoured the Alfajores filled with dulce de leche, couldn’t get enough of a lovely beet salad with avocado and goat cheese, and enjoyed having the chance to drink amazing Malbec with all of the yummy foods that I consumed on my trip. I love recreating the food that I had the pleasure to eat while in Argentina in my very own kitchen here in the States. In Argentina (and now at home), I serve this roasted beet salad alongside hanger steak and a small glass of Malbec.
Roasted Beet Salad Recipe
|Calories:||250 per serving|
|Prep Time:||15 minutes|
|Cook Time:||30 minutes|
|Total Time:||45 minutes|
- 1 lb beets, greens removed and pricked with a fork
- 1 avocado , peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash the beets thoroughly, leaving the skins on, and remove the greens.
3. Place the beets in a roasting pan and toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
4. Bake the beets for 30 minutes, or until a knife can easily slide through the largest beet.
5. Cool and remove skins by rubbing the beets with a paper towel.
6. Cut the beet into a 1/2-inch dice, and place in a large bowl with the avocado, goat cheese, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
7. Toss the ingredients together until well combined. Serve alongside steak or enjoy as a main dish.