Asparagus doesn’t need much at this time of year to make it really shine. Just a quick boil to make it simultaneously tender and crisp, and a topping of hard boiled eggs, capers and sea salt will do it. Serve with a side of toast and you have the perfect breakfast, brunch or starter to any spring meal.
Adapted from Plenty
Joanne Bruno is a food writer and fourth year MD/PhD student. Find more of delicious ramblings over at her blog: Eats Well with Others
For more Meatless Monday recipes:
Asparagus Mimosa Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 2 bunches of medium asparagus
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp capers, drained
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- black pepper , to taste
1. Place the eggs in a small pot of boiling water and simmer for 9 minutes. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon, keeping the water at a boil. Immerse the eggs in a bowl of cold water and let rest for a few minutes. Peel and grate them on a coarse cheese grater.
2. Trim the asparagus to remove the woody ends. In the same bowl of boiling water, add the spears and cook for 3 minutes or until tender.
3. Drain and split among four serving plates. Drizzle the oil over the asparagus and sprinkle with the capers, salt, black pepper, and egg.