As summer winds down and we gear up for the last long weekend of the summer we need some quick, simple and delicious party food. Stuffed mushrooms are always a fun appetizer. With bacon and cheese (I used Brie and Parmesan) these little mushrooms have tons of flavor and can be assembled ahead of time. I used two types of cheese in this recipe. Half of the mushrooms had shaved Parmesan the other half had Brie, but I encourage you to try whatever you like. Gruyere would be another good option and feel free to use any bacon whether it be pork, turkey, or even vegan.
Let’s party together and enjoy some great eats to celebrate the last long weekend of the summer. Also think ahead to how great these would be for Thanksgiving, apres ski and winter holidays. OK, I won’t get ahead of myself…….
Makes 12 mushrooms – about 4 servings. Simply adjust ingredients in same ratio depending on your crowd.
Marla Meridith is the creator, photographer, stylist and go-to-gal behind the blog Family Fresh Cooking. She believes in real, healthy, whole foods for a happy, high energy life. She is obsessed with her family, food, travel and coffee. Look for her on Twitter and Facebook too.
- 12 medium Crimini Mushrooms, rinsed & pat dry
- 3 tbsp Bacon crumbles, set 1 tbsp aside for topping
- 1 ounce varied Cheese, cut into pieces (I like Brie & shaved Parmesan) set 1/2 aside for topping
- 1 tsp fresh Thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped Chives, plus some for garnish
- pinch of Garlic Salt
- pinch of cracked Black Pepper
- pinch of Smoked Paprika
- Cooking Spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 F with rack in the middle. Cook bacon according to package directions. Let cool, crumble up a few pieces and set aside.Â Gently remove stems from the mushrooms. Chop stems into small pieces.
2. Spray a small non stick skillet. Over medium heat saute mushroom stems, chives, thyme with garlic salt, pepper & smoked paprika for a few minutes. Mushrooms should be nice and soft. Remove from heat. In a medium bowl combine 2 tablespoons bacon crumbles with mushroom mixture. If you are filling mushrooms with two types of cheese then divide mixture in two. I added parmesan to one bowl & brie to the other.
3. Place mushroom caps snugly onto a baking sheet or baking pan. With a small spoon gently fill the mushrooms with mixture(s). Top each stuffed mushroom with the remainder of the cheese & bacon crumbles. Bake for about 20 minutes until cheese is melted. Garnish with some extra cheese & chopped chives.
These mushrooms are great straight out of the oven but good at room temperature too. To reheat I put the stuffed mushrooms in the toaster oven at 350 F for 8-10 minutes until warm.