I have a new best friend. She’s small, blonde and lives on my kitchen counter. Yes friends, last weekend I became the proud owner of a yellow KitchenAid stand mixer, and I couldn’t be more excited. My first thought was to run to the kitchen to bake bread, croissants and cakes (with no hands!)…but before I got carried away I thought I should introduce my new best friend to my other best friend: bacon.
Bacon and I have been friends since day one. It was a part of every Sunday and holiday morning breakfast, and is always a comforting treat. I’ve never met a meat eater who doesn’t agree that bacon elevates almost any dish to a new realm of delicious, and even some vegetarians agree (I hear bacon does wonders for a veggie burger). For my first KitchenAid experiment I thought I’d mix bacon with another of my favorite comfort foods.
Banana bread is quick and easy to make, and a great way to use those bananas that are quickly browning in your fruit bowl. This is a basic banana bread recipe with bacon and chocolate chips thrown into the mix.
I added a couple teaspoons of the leftover grease from the bacon pan to get that smoky flavor into the batter. The combination is delicious, and the combined smells of bacon cooking and banana bread baking really can’t be beat.
Adapted from Bon Appetit
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 6 strips of bacon
- 2 tsp leftover bacon grease
1, Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9" x 5" metal loaf pan. In a medium sized skillet, fry the bacon until golden brown. Let cool and crisp, then crumble into chocolate chip-sized pieces (you should have about 3/4 cup crumbled bacon). Combine bacon with chocolate chips in a small bowl. Whisk the dry ingredients in a medium bowl to blend.
2. In a large bowl, or your new friend KitchenAid, beat the butter and the bacon grease until fluffy. Gradually sift in sugar until blended. Beat in eggs, mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Beat in flour mixture and mix until well-blended. Spoon 1/3 of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of chocolate chip-bacon mixture. Spoon 1/3 of batter over the chip layer. Sprinkle with remaining chip mixture, and cover with remaining batter. Run knife through batter in zigzag pattern.
3. Bake bread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Flip out of pan onto rack and cool. Serve with plain yogurt and fresh fruit.