This is a hearty stew, great for a mid-week meal.
Buy good-quality grass-fed beef if you can, it’s worth it in this stew that features five equally prominent ingredients. Bitter Lacinato Kale works well with the rich beef and saucy tomatoes, but Swiss Chard or Broccoli Rabe would work equally well. (Make sure to saute the Broccoli Rabe first, though.)
Cook the rice ahead of time to use for various mid-week meals, or cook some extra for this dish and keep a cup or two around to pair with roasted vegetables for a last minute meal.
Beef and Brown Rice Chili Recipe
- Salt, for seasoning beef, and to taste
- 1 lb ground beef, divided into 1/2- to 1-inch portions
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- One 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups cooked brown riceor Wehani rice
- 1 bunch Lacinato Kale, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Optional seasonings: bay leaf, coriander, cayenne
1. Heat a large saute pan or pot over medium-high heat. Season the beef generously with salt. Add the canola oil and heat through. Add the beef to the pan and sear it, letting the meat brown well. Stir to caramelize all the sides of the beef. (At this point add the optional seasonings.)
2. Add the tomatoes and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.Â Add the rice and kale and fold into the tomato and ground beef mixture. Heat through until the kale is wilted and the rice is hot.
3. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and serve.