One of my favorite things about being on my tour for “Yes, Chef” is seeing and tasting how different chefs around the country interpret my book. Whether it’s tweaking a spice or turning the composition completely upside down, it’s always fun to digest a new vision.
In fact, I’ll be in LA tonight to taste this very creation and Chef Yoon and I will be demo’ing this dish in a Google Hangout this afternoon at 8pm ET. Hope you can join us and follow along.
Berbere Spiced Leg of Lamb with Mint Yogurt and Pickled Cucumbers Recipe
|Prep Time:||1 hour plus marinate overnight|
|Cook Time:||6-9 minutes to grill, depending on how big the cubes of lamb are cut|
- 1 boneless leg of lamb, (around 8 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 4 tablespoons garlic,chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 4 tablespoons berbere spice
- 1 tablespoons cumin,ground
- 2 cups olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 hothouse cucumber,deseeded
- 1/4 cup shallots
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 32 oz (2 large containers) goat milk yogurt (available at Trader Joes)
- 1 bunch mint,cleaned
- 1 bunch cilantro,cleaned
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and white pepper to taste
For the Lamb
(Pair with Mint Yogurt sauce, pickled cucumbers and cilantro for garnish)
1. Clean the leg of lamb, remove the silver skin and sinew. Cut the lamb into 1/2 inch cubes.
2. Mix only the first 8 ingredients together
3. Cover lamb in marinade, refrigerating overnight for best results.
4. Preheat a grill on medium settings (too hot will burn the marinade, watch out!)
5. Skewer the lamb for best results, season with salt and black pepper, and grill to a medium rare. Once done, allow the lamb to rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the plate.
6. Place about 1/3 cup of the yogurt sauce on each plate, top with a skewer of the grilled lamb leg. Garnish with the pickled cucumber and cilantro.
For the Mint Yogurt Sauce
1. In a blender, puree the cucumber, shallot and lemon juice until smooth
2. Add the yogurt and herbs to the blender, spin until smooth.
3. Season with the honey, olive oil, salt and white pepper