While it wasn’t a particularly harsh winter, we’re still right in the middle of it. With no other fruits in season except winter citrus, we had to improvise for this week’s cocktail and use one of the most flavorful acidic oranges there is- the blood orange.
Blood oranges are widely grown in Italy and Spain, but in the US they are grown in Florida and California. The abnormal pigmentation gives the blood orange its streaked red color, hence resembling blood. They known for their high vitamin C, potassium, carotene and dietary fiber contents, all of which have extensive health benefits.
We’re all for added benefits, especially when drinking! So if you’re in the mood for an extra dose of vitamin Â C, check out this Blood Orange Margarita recipe below.
- 3 oz blood orange juice
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz triple sec
- kosher or sea salt
- additional blood orangeslice for garnish
1. Rub the rim of your glass with a blood orange slice to moisten. Dip in kosher or sea salt.
2. Places blood orange juice, tequila, and triple sec, and ice into a shaker and shake for 15 second.
3. Place a few ice cubes in the glass and strain the drink into the glass.
4. Garnish with an additional blood orange slice.