Sweet potatoes are kind of a big deal in my life. I didn’t realize how much of a big deal until I went on a first date with a guy and he told me, with all the nonchalance he could muster, that he didn’t like them.
At first I thought that it’d be fine; we’d compromise. It’s just one vegetable, after all. Totally not something to freak out about. Then I made this chowder…fell head over heels in love…and realized that, yeah, it may be one vegetable, but it’s the one vegetable around which my entire life revolves. So I may end up old and alone with slightly orange-tinged skin, but at least my taste buds will be happy.
Adapted from Vegetarian Times September 2011
Joanne Bruno is a food writer and second year medical student. Find more of her delicious ramblings over at her blog: Eats Well With Others. Joanne is also training for her third marathon with Team in Training, raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. For more information or to make a donation, check out her fundraising website.
Caramelized Onion, Cabbage, and Sweet Potato Chowder with Rosemary Recipe
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 12 oz cabbage, cut into large dice (6 to 7 cups)
- 3 large onions, cut into large dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb sweet potato, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
1. Combine pomegranate juice, soy sauce, and vinegar in small bowl.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and season with salt, if desired. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to shallow bowl.
3. Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onions and season with salt. Cover and cook 8-10 minutes, or until onions are softened, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 16 to 18 minutes, or until onions are golden brown. Add garlic, rosemary and pomegranate mixture, stirring to scrape up browned bits on pan bottom. Bring to a simmer and cook 1 minute. Add cabbage, sweet potato cubes, and 5 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and cook 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.