Inspired by Kräftskiva, this summery salad highlights fresh seafood and is perfect for the season’s peak. Kräftskiva is a traditional Swedish celebration, where people gather to feast on crayfish, drink, and enjoy each other’s company. If the only crustaceans you’ve tried are the usual shrimp, crab, and lobster, take this recipe as an ideal introduction to the ingredient. Crayfish meat is mixed with mayo, lemon juice, and Old Bay seasoning, much like a crab salad, as well as sweet, shredded carrots. Serve it as an appetizer at an outdoor barbeque—or bring it Kräftskiva, if you’re going to one anytime soon!
Check out another Swedish-style recipe from Patrice below:
Rye Blini with Quick-Pickled Beets and Gravlax
Carrot and Crayfish Salad Recipe
|Calories:||498 per serving|
|Prep Time:||10 minutes|
|Total Time:||10 minutes|
- 4 cups shredded carrots
- 2 large green onions , diced (3 to 4 tablespoons)
- 2 cups crayfish meat
- 3/4 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Pepper , to taste
- 1 parsnip , sliced thin, fried until crisp in vegetable oil, drained and salted
- Chives , chopped
1. Whisk together mayo, sugar, lemon juice, and Old Bay, and season to taste with pepper. Combine with carrots, onions, and crayfish. Chill until ready to serve.
2. Garnish with parsnip chips and chives.