Feliz Cinco de Mayo! This Mexican holiday falls on a Thursday this year, which means you might not have time for a big dinner or party. Instead, pick up a bag of tortilla chips and a few avocados for an easy celebration. In only a few minutes, you can enjoy your Cinco de Mayo with a bowl of fresh guacamole, and maybe a few Coronas or margaritas, too!
This recipe highlights the creamy and delicious flavor of avocado, but if you like a tomato-packed version, you can add salsa or chopped fresh tomatoes to taste.
Save any extra avocados for a refreshing and healthy Avocado-Banana Smoothie.
Cinco de Mayo Guacamole Recipe
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 3 tbsp high-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Using a chef's knife, slice the avocado along its circumference, twisting to separate the halves. Remove the pit and discard. Using a paring knife, score the pulp crosswise and scoop out with a spoon into a medium-sized bowl.
2. Add the onion, garlic clove, lime juice, and olive oil to the bowl. Toss to evenly incorporate all the ingredients. Don't mash the avocado pulp aggressively, let the pieces soften and distribute as you fold the guacamole. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve and enjoy with tortilla chips.