The first Central Market opened in Austin, Texas in 1994 and was soon deemed “an amusement park for food lovers.” Since then, the company has grown to have a total of nine stores in Texas. On the Yes, Chef book tour, Marcus will be demoing recipes at Central Market’s cooking schools in Dallas, Austin and Houston, respectively on July 17, 18 and 19. At Central Market, foodies can find high-quality ingredients for their own cooking or restaurant-quality prepared food to take home. Perfect for July, we got their amazing Summer Heirloom Tomato Salad recipe. Bright in color with all kinds of heirloom tomatoes, and in flavor with fresh basil and parsley, it’s the perfect dish to bring to an outdoor barbeque or side for a quick weeknight meal.
Photo: Michael Napoleon
Central Market Heirloom Tomato Salad Recipe
|Calories:||137 per serving|
|Prep Time:||1 hour, 25 minutes|
|Total Time:||1 hour, 25 minutes|
- 8 to 10 heirloom tomatoes, small, variety of colors
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup yellow or purple onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tsp dried basil)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste (1/2 to 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1. Cut cores from the tomatoes. Slice each tomato into 8 to 10 wedges.
2. Combine sliced tomatoes with remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Toss to blend well.
3. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.