As we often see meat in Mexican cuisine, it was a deliciously worthy challenge to create a vegetarian option for this year’s Cinco de Mayo celebration. Part of the beauty of modern Mexican cuisine is its adaptability, the ease with which it fuses with other ethnic traditions, and the freedom that it lends the home chef to experiment – take advantage!
These tacos are filled with layers of smoky, spicy and sweet flavors. Begin with a cooling avocado mash that bursts with refreshing citrus that culminates in a layer of smoky-sweet chipotle yams and these vegetarian tacos are beyond satisfying. The rainbow chard is so hearty and juicy that you won’t miss the carnitas for one bite. Top with queso fresco and serve alongside a salt-rim margarita to kick off your Cinco de Mayo celebration. Salud!
Chipotle Sweet Potato Tacos Recipe
|Calories:||215 per serving|
|Prep Time:||25 mins|
|Cook Time:||15 mins|
|Total Time:||40 mins|
- 1 sweet potato, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 small Spanish onions, diced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- 1 bunch rainbow chard, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 8-inch soft flour or corn tortillas
- 3-4 tablespoons queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add the sweet potato and 1 onion. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until the onions are translucent and the potatoes begin to soften, about 8 minutes. Add the black beans, chipotles and extra adobo sauce to taste. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until sweet potatoes are very tender.
2. Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in another saucepan with the minced garlic. Once garlic is soft, add the rainbow chard and sauté, tossing, until wilted, 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Either while the vegetables cook or while they are covered to keep warm, prepare the avocado mash. Use a fork to mash the avocado slices, keeping some chunky pieces if you prefer. Mix in the tomatoes and remaining onion and season lightly with salt, pepper and lime juice.
4. To assemble the tacos, spread the avocado mash down the center of each tortilla. Top with rainbow chard, sweet potatoes and black beans, and top with crumbled queso fresco.