Coconut Chicken and Waffles
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, plus 4 cups for frying
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 scotch bonnet chilies, chopped with seeds and ribs removed
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- juice from 2 limes
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups panko
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated.
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Chobani coconut-flavored Greek yogurt
- 8 1/4 ounces grade A maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bourbon
For the Coconut Chicken
1. Heat 3 tablespoons peanut oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add the chicken and brown on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Add the garlic, chilies and curry paste and sauté until golden and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk, lime juice, 1 cup of water and return the chicken to pan. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered until chicken is cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. Combine cornstarch and panko together.
3. Dip chicken in egg whites then roll it in the panko-cornstarch mix. Coat well.
4. Heat the peanut oil in a large, deep pan to 350° F. Carefully add the chicken pieces and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 4-5 minutes total cooking
5. Place on paper towel to remove excess oil. Season with salt.
For the Waffles
1. Preheat the waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add coconut flakes and combine.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the egg yolks with the milk, melted butter, and yogurt. Slowly incorporate the wet mixture with the dry mixture, and whisk gently just until blended. Do not over-mix.
4. In a clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter, being careful not to over-mix.
5. Spray the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour enough batter into the iron to just cover the waffle grid. Close and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
For the Bourbon Maple Syrup
1. Reduce bourbon by 1/3 over medium heat.
2. Cool bourbon reduction.
3. Combine bourbon and maple syrup.