Mahi mahi, the hearty and flavorful fish that hails from subtropical waters is transformed into a textured delight with this macadamia nut-crusted recipe. Top the hearty fish off with this tropical salsa that bursts with coconut and pineapple, and you’ll be convinced you’re basking in the sun on the isle of your choice.
Coconut Macadamia Nut-Crusted Mahi Mahi Recipe
- 1 1/4 cupschopped pineapple
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tbsp panko
- 1 ½ tbsp chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 (6 oz) mahimahi fillets (or other firm whitefish)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Combine the pineapple through the jalapeno pepper in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut with the panko, macadamia nuts and 3/4 tsp sea salt in a shallow bowl. Combine the milk and soy sauce in another shallow dish. Sprinkle fish on both sides with the remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Dip one side of the fish into the milk mixture and then dredge the dipped side into the panko/coconut mixture.
4. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish, crust side down, to pan and cook 3 minutes. Add fish, crust side up, to an 8×8-inch baking or casserole pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily. Serve with the salsa.