I think I’ve made it fairly clear that coconut is one of my favorite ingredients (see my sweet recipes). Maybe I am compensating for a decidedly un-sunny summer here in the foggy San Francisco bay by cooking with milk from a beachy tropical fruit. Or maybe I am making up for lost time for that deprived period of my childhood when I wouldn’t touch anything that had to do with the round brown fruit because I thought it tasted like chalk.
Coconut is truly a miraculous food for its vitamin-rich health benefits, its unique and delicious taste, and its versatility. This recipe is a healthier way to get a sweet-or in my case a comfort food-into your day.
Adapted from The Witchy Kitchen
Coconut Milk & Brown Rice Pudding Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups precooked short grain brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups coconut milk (1 14 oz. can)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp soy, almond or dairy milk
- 4-5 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 1/4 tbsp corn starch, or 2 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour as a substitute
- 3-4 tbsp raisins (or other small dried fruit)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- shredded coconut, for garnish
1. In a pan, place the coconut milk, soy milk and agave syrup. Turn the heat up and whisk in the corn starch. Place the rice, raisins, and cinnamon in the milk and bring to a low simmer.
2. Once the mixture begins to simmer, allow it to do so for 5-6 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and mix in the vanilla.
3. Chill for an hour & a half. Sprinkle with cinnamon and shredded coconut and serve.