Go a little extravagant and make this creamy and delicious Coconut Rice Pudding with Fried Bananas. My version of rice pudding is studded with raisins, coconut, dried mango, and fried bananas, so the texture keeps changing.
Coconut Rice Pudding with Fried Banana Recipe
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- One 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, tough outer leaves removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup dark raisins
- 2 tbsp finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup diced dried mango
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Fried Bananas
1. Place the rice in a fine mesh sieve and rinse under cold running water for 15 minutes to remove excess starch.
2. Combine the milk, coconut milk, brown sugar, cardamom, ground ginger, cinnamon stick, fresh ginger, lemongrass, salt, and rice in a medium saucepan. With a sharp knife, slice the vanilla bean lengthwise, then use the back of the knife to scrape the seeds into the pan. Add the vanilla bean. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and transfer the rice mixture to a bowl. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Add the raisins, coconut, and mango and mix to combine. Set aside to cool.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped ream into the rice pudding until creamy. Divide the pudding evenly among eight ramekins and garnish with the toasted coconut flakes. Serve with the fried bananas.