Inspired by Vietnamese summer salads, this dish gets its bold flavor from fresh limes, pungent fish sauce and spicy jalapeno in the vinaigrette. I added carrots for some color and sweetness and sprinkle the salad with roasted peanuts for texture and bite. If you prefer a lighter meal, you can omit the chicken or substitute grilled shrimp or tofu for protein.
Cool and Crunchy Chicken Salad Recipe
|Calories:||150 per serving|
|Prep Time:||15 minutes|
|Cook Time:||15 minutes|
|Total Time:||30 minutes|
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup bok choy, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 tbsp kimchi, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 2 sprigs Thai basil
- 1 jalepeno, thinly sliced
- 1 chicken breast, grilled after rubbed with 1 tbsp olive oil, ½ tsp chili powder, 1 tsp chopped mint
- Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1 tsp jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp mirin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 drops fish sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sesame oil
1. Season chicken with chili powder, mint and olive oil and grill 6-8 minutes per side.
2. While the chicken grills, toss the vegetables, kimchi and herbs in a large bowl.
3. Add the vinaigrette to the salad and combine well.
4. Arrange slices of chicken on a plate and add dressed salad on top. Garnish with mint, cilantro and peanuts and serve cold or room temperature.