I love this time of year. As California simultaneously holds on to its summer and makes room for Fall, a lot of produce is in its peak. Eggplants are a great example; I am trying to use them as much as I can right now. I love their flavor and texture, but I also love that they are meaty and substantial. In this recipe, the round slices are sort of like patties-you could even make this into a delicious vegetarian sandwich.
Enjoy these last days of summer food and weather while you can!
For more of Madeleine’s great recipes, follow me on Twitter (@MarcusCooks)
- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 block mozzarella cheese, sliced
- flour, for breading (any kind will do, but I used rice flour)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp milk
- handful of basil or spinach
- balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- salt and pepper
1. In a bowl, whisk together the egg, water, and milk. On a separate plate, have the flour ready for dipping.
2. Dip each eggplant slice in the beaten egg mixture and coat both sides with flour. Saute in a pan coated with olive oil until golden brown on each side. Salt and pepper each side.
3. Stack the eggplant and cheese and let the cheese melt slightly. Add any kind of green you like. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.