We all know fish is best served up fresh, local and Oceanside. But what if you’re landlocked and are craving the sweet tastes of the sea? Well you have nothing to worry about, as this recipe will have you feeling as though you’re in your favorite seaside fishing town.
Crab meat is considered a prized possession all around the world due to its soft, sweet, delicate taste. While crab cakes are always a popular dish, few come close to the intensity of a spicy firecracker crab cake. These little patties of spicy crab go great as an appetizer or can be made larger for a main course.
If you are having a hard time finding fresh crabmeat you can purchase canned, although nothing beats the taste of fresh crabmeat. If you’re one of the lucky ones who found fresh crabmeat be sure to clean and pick the meat out properly as I’m sure you don’t want any pieces of shell in your spicy crab cakes.
Melaina is from a small town in Ontario, Canada and as an avid environmentalist with a passion for focusing on healthy living. Having traveled the world and written about it every step of the way, she one day hopes to develop unique environmental educational programs for kids.
Firecracker Crab Cakes Recipe
|Calories:||580 per serving|
|Prep Time:||1 hour 20 mins|
|Cook Time:||10 mins|
|Total Time:||1 hour 30 mins|
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Bunch of fresh, chopped parsley
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat, picked through and any bits of shell removed
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko(Japanese style breadcrumbs)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup spicy mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Spicy Mayonnaiseor
1. Over medium heat, heat olive oil and cook scallions, carrot, red pepper, and parsley until scallions are soft, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine mixture with crabmeat and black beans.
3. Stir in the egg, panko, red chili flakes and mayonnaise until all ingredients are mixed together. Divide into 12 patties, refrigerate to set for an hour.
4. Finally, over high heat, heat canola oil in large skillet and fry patties in hot oil until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
5. Serve with spicy mayonnaise or sweet chili sauce, and enjoy.