In Colorado, the mountainous and rustic landscape summon another creatively delicious dinner demo led by Marcus and housed by the elegant Frasca Food and Wine in Boulder. These special Italian potato cakes from Frasca are one of the restaurant’s staples, having never left the menu since their doors opened nearly eight years ago. Frico Caldo holds a deep and enduring significance for Chef Mackinnon-Patterson in which this dish, once considered “peasant food,” is given an unexpected upscale twist with his French culinary expertise. Frasca’s team explains the layered nuances of the potatoes:
It goes by an Italian name and is typical food in Friuli (where Frasca’s cuisine is inspired by). In someone else’s hands, it might be nothing more than a standard potato cake, but here, in our kitchen, it emerges in all its exquisite elegance: triangles of crisp-edged Yukon Gold potatoes enhanced with onions and cheese and finished with cilantro vinaigrette.
If the description isn’t enough to make you hop the next plane to the Rockies, then try your hand at this special comfort dish at home.
Frasca Frico Caldo Recipe
|Calories:||215 per serving|
|Prep Time:||30 mins|
|Cook Time:||1 hour 30 mins|
|Total Time:||2 hours|
- 4.5 ounces Yukon Gold potato(approximately 1 large potato)
- 1 ounceonions
- 2 ouncesgrated montasio
- Pinch of salt
- Grated nutmeg to taste
- 4 pieces sliced prosciutto
- 1 teaspoongrape seed or canola oil
- 1 T Chopped Cilantro
- 1 T Grapeseed oil
- 1 t Shallot minced
- Sherry Vinegar to taste
- Salt to taste
1. Poach Yukon gold potato in a pot with salted water until fork tender. This may take up to forty-five minutes to one hour. When cooked, peel the potato and crush to small pieces. Then mince the half onion. Bring the sauté pan to moderate heat and add the grape seed or canola oil.
2. Place the minced onions into the sauté pan. Slightly sauté the onions until translucent and sweet. Mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Be sure not to over mix.
3.Heat a Cast Iron/Teflon pan on high heat. Lightly grease the pan and add the potato mixture.
4. Let the potato cook on one side for 5 minutes, until golden brown. Then using a spatula, flip the Frico to complete cooking for 5 minutes.
5. Mix the components of the cilantro vinegar together. Cut the Frico into wedges and serve with the cilantro vinegar. With each slice of Frico, serve one piece of sliced prosciutto.