This Fried Chicken with Yucca Salad recipe takes its flavor cues from the traditions of soul food. The chicken gets cooked twice, first in coconut milk and then in peanut oil. Paired with a flavorful yucca salad, this is a delicious and impressive meal to share with your friends and family.
Fried Chicken with Yucca Salad Recipe
|Calories:||184 per serving|
|Prep Time:||10 mins|
|Cook Time:||1 hour|
|Total Time:||1 hr 10 mins|
- 3 tablespoonspeanut oil, plus 4 cups for frying
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Scotch bonnet chiles, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoonsred curry paste
- 1 cupcoconut milk
- 2 limesjuiced
- 1/4 cupcornstarch
- 2 cupspanko bread crumbs
- 4 largeegg whites
- 1 teaspoonsalt
- 3 tablespoonsolive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 green finger chiles, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 2 pounds yucca, peeled and cut into 2 x 1/4-inch strips
- 2 canned sardine fillets, chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoonschopped parsley
- 2 tablespoonschopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoonsalt
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1. Heat the 3 tablespoons peanut oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, add the chicken and brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the garlic, chiles, and curry paste to the pan and saute until golden and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk, lime juice, and 1 cup water and return the chicken to pan. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. Combine the cornstarch and panko in a shallow dish. Place the egg whites in a separate dish. Dip the chicken in the egg whites, then roll it in the panko-cornstarch mixture. Coat well.
4. Heat the 4 cups peanut oil to 350 degrees F in a large, deep pan. Carefully add the chicken pieces and fry until golden brown on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes total cooking time. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess oil. Season with the salt. Serve with the yucca salad.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallots, and chiles and saute until the garlic is golden, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
6. Place the yucca in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the pot, drain, and transfer to a large bowl. Set aside to cool.
7. Toss the yucca with the sardines, lime juice, parsley, cilantro, salt, tomatoes, and reserved garlic mixture.