When mushrooms come to mind, you think of grilling, sautéing, or even roasting them, but generally never frying. In season, morel mushrooms and spring onions are plentiful at the farmers markets. Combined together and fried these treats are great as a garnish on a baked potato or salad. But, I make no apologies for eating them right out of the pan.
Adapted from John Brewer’s Crunchy Morels recipe.
For more delicious stories by Patrice Johnson, click HERE
Fried Morels, Spring Onions and Sage Recipe
- 6 morel mushrooms, halved or quartered depending on size
- 2 flowering spring onions, halved
- 3 sage leaves
- Spelt flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
1. Toss the vegetables and sage in enough spelt flour to coat.
2. In small saucepan melt butter and add oil to pan. In batches fry vegetables about 3 minutes each side. Drain on paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
3. Fry sage about 30 seconds each side. Drain and season with salt. Serve immediately.