As the season changes and dusky moods replace light and effervescence, desire beckons sultry alternatives. The cooler weather makes us prime candidate for earthy tones and scents which tickle the back of the throat and ultimately, warm it up. Despite the ice, this ginger cocktail will do exactly that. Ginger is a palate pleaser and yet its responsibilities go beyond taste. A healing hand, this magical ingredient is considered to nudge that autumnally challenged immune system in the right direction. Today’s glass of bliss personified with muddled ginger, cherries and a kiss of cayenne, may prompt you to have more than just the one. Salut!
Adapted from Chef Jason Kosmas and Chef Dushan Zaric of Employees Only
For more cocktail recipes, follow my Twitter (@MarcusCooks)
Ginger, Cherry, and Chili Cocktail Recipe
- 6 whole pitted cherries
- 1 tsp ground ginger root
- 3 slivers finely sliced ginger
- 1 tsp sugar
- Light pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 oz wet gin
- 1 1/2 oz apple schnapps
1. Combine the solid ingredients (except for the ginger slivers) and muddle together in a shaker.
2. Add the lime juice, wet gin, and apple schnapps and shake with ice.
3. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with the slivers of ginger.