The sausage and pepper sandwich is the kind of classic combo that will never go out of style and is always delicious. Because it’s such a simple sandwich, you can easily tweak it in any number of ways. You can experiment with different types of sausage like spicy Italian, or a German bratwurst or a more creatively stuffed combo like bacon and cheese. Go to your local butcher and see what you can find. This recipe can be done on just the grill, so it’s a great and quick summer grilling option for your BBQ.
Grilled Sausage and Pepper Sandwich Recipe
- 1 onion, skin removed and cut in half
- 1 red bell pepper, whole
- 1 yellow bell pepper, whole
- 1 orange bell pepper, whole
- 4 sausages
- 4 hot-dogs style buns or a baguette, cut into half
1. Get the grill to a high temperature, around 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place peppers, onions (flat side down), bunds, and sausages directly on the grill.
3. Lightly toast the buns to desired doneness.
4. Peppers will take about 5 minutes a side. Grill until you've produced a nice char all over the pepper. When done, remove from heat and slip off skin with your fingers or a knife. Cut off tops and remove seeds.
5. Remove onions from grill after they've achieved a nice char and are very soft. (If you're concerned about them falling apart on the grill, you can also put them on top of a layer of tin foil.) Remove from grill and slice into long strands.
6. Sausage cooking time will vary, but cook until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Probably 7 to 10 minutes.
7. Assemble sandwich.