BYÂ LINDA WAGNER
One of my favorite things to eat in my past unhealthy life was Broccoli Cheese Soup. Preferably in a giant bread bowl from Panera. Delicious, but not so great for the waistline.
I was recently readingÂ Megan’s blogÂ and got inspired to make my own healthy version of this cold weather classic. It’s perfect for even the pickiest of eaters and I don’t think there’s anything moreÂ satisfying on a cold autumn night!
4 full broccoli heads + stems
4 stalks of celery, chopped
4 large carrots, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz mild goat cheddar, shredded (I used Alta Dena brand)
1 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
2-3 cups water
1/4 tsp nutmeg
small pat of butter
fresh cracked pepper
sea salt to taste
- First, melt butter in a large pot over med-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook until soft and transparent. Next add chopped celery, carrots, chopped broccoli stems (if you want your soup a bit chunky then use the stems only in this step, not the florets!), almond milk, water and some sea salt. Bring to a slow boil and cook until the veggies are soft, about 15mins.
- Next, pour the mixture into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Or, you can blend the mixture using anÂ immersionÂ blenderÂ like I did.
- Then add finely chopped broccoli florets to the blended mixture and cook for another 10mins or until soft.
- Next stir in 6 oz of shreddedÂ goat cheese (I used Alta Dena Mild Cheddar)Â and add it to the mixture along with 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
- Stir the mixture well, then add sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. I served mine topped with some goat cheese and chopped green onions.
Photos: Linda Wagner
*For more healthy living tips and recipes,Â subscribe to Linda’s blog, follow her onÂ Twitter, orÂ LOVE her on Facebook, or if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey,Â shoot her an email!
For more of Linda’s recipes and tips, follow me on Twitter (@MarcusCooks)