Think of this recipe as a healthful springboard. If you’re in the mood, stir in chopped Canadian bacon or low-sodium tuna for added flavor. Drape a small sliver of smoked salmon over the top and sprinkle with dill for a great addition to a brunch table. If you’re lucky enough to have it, smoked trout also makes a tasty topper.
Healthy Deviled Eggs Recipe
|Calories:||60 per serving|
|Prep Time:||15 minutes|
|Total Time:||15 minutes|
- 1 tbsp dry mustard powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 6 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 (14-ox) can garbanzo beans, 50% less sodium variety, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp lowfat mayonnaise
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp green onion tops, thinly sliced
- Smoked paprika
For the Spice Mixture:
1. Stir the mustard, garlic powder, white pepper, and salt together in a small bowl. Set aside.
For the Egg Mixture:
1. Measure ½ cup of the drained beans; pat dry and place in a small bowl. Refrigerate the rest of the beans for another use. Use a fork to mash the beans until they form an almost smooth paste.
2. Add the yolks of 2 eggs; discard the remaining yolks. Mash until the yolks and beans form a paste. Add the spice mixture, vinegar, and mayonnaise.
3. Using a hand mixture on medium speed, beat for 2 minutes or until the mixture is fluffy, scraping down sides. Stir in the green onions.
4. Spoon the filling into whites and sprinkle tops lightly with paprika. Serve immediately or refrigerate in a covered container until serving time.