The inspiration for this granita came to me during the heat wave, which gripped New York in mid-July. Unbearably hot. Too hot to bake and too hot to think about chocolate, but I wanted something sweet, cool and refreshing, and big on flavor.
Infusing spices into liquids is a great way to create huge flavors with little fuss. To give the coconut milk a touch of depth and intrigue I paired cardamom, one of my favorite spices with my favorite natural sweetener-honey. The brightness of the cardamon compliments honey’s depth well. Simply let the mixture simmer for a few minutes, freeze, scrape, repeat and viola. You have an incredible summer dessert that begs to be shared.
This no-fuss granita would be great to take to the end of summer BBQ this Labor Day weekend and you can easily double the recipe to make this deliciously snowy granita for all your friends. Enjoy!
Honey Cardamom Granita Recipe
- 2 16 oz cans coconut milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 star anise
- 5-6 cardamom pods, whole
1. Add coconut milk, honey, and spices into a sauce pan over medium-low heat.
2. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, but do not let the mixture come to a boil. Turn down the heat to low if the coconut milk begins to bubble.
3. Strain coconut milk to remove the spices and pour into a 13" x 9" glass sauce pan that is appropriate for the freezer. Let coconut milk cool slightly before placing in the freezer.
4. Allow coconut milk to freeze for 45 minutes before removing from the freezer and scraping with a fork. Fork scraping will create a light -snowy texture.
5. Place the pan back in the freezer and repeat the scraping process twice more at 1 hour intervals.
6. Scrape granita into a glass, drizzle with honey and serve immediately.