One of Jardiniere’s signature and diners’ all-time favorite menu offerings is this simple and rustically elegant warm bread salad dish that you can easily try at home. Bring a taste of California comfort to your table with this mixture of artichokes, arugula and sourdough bread.
Read more about this creatively elegant San Francisco restaurant: Bon Appetit! California Meets France at Jardiniere.
Jardiniere Warm Bread Salad Recipe
|Calories:||195 per serving|
|Prep Time:||40 mins|
|Cook Time:||20 mins|
|Total Time:||1 hour|
- 1 poundCrescenza cheese
- ¼ cupextra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoonchopped Italian Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoonfinely minced thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- 24 to 36 baby artichokes(depending on their size)
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoonspure olive oil
- ½ pound salad mix (use a hearty mix, i.e. with baby arugula, mizuna and tat soi)
- 3 tablespoonsfinely cut basil
- 3 tablespoonsbalsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cupextra virgin olive oil
- 1 loafof a slightly stale sourdough bread, crust removed
- 1/4 cuppure olive oil
1. Place the Crescenza into a pie pan or non-reactive baking dish. Combine the chopped herbs and the extra virgin olive oil, pour over the cheese and season well with salt and pepper. This may be done up to three days in advance. Just before serving cut the cheese, a spoon may be used for this, into 24 pieces.
2. “Turn” the artichokes by removing the tough outer leaves with a knife and trimming any of the green part away, cut in half and remove the choke if it is tough. Place into water with the juice of the lemon to prevent browning. When all of the artichokes have been prepared, slice them to 1/8-inch thick.
3. Place the pure olive oil into a sauté pan, heat over medium heat add the artichokes and increase the heat to medium high, season with salt and pepper. Allow the artichokes to cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until a nice golden brown and no longer al dente. Remove from the pan and allow to drain on a paper towel.
4. Make vinaigrette by whisking together the balsamic and the extra virgin, season to taste with salt and pepper. Combine the greens and the basil in a large mixing bowl.
5. Tear the bread into half inch pieces. Place the pure olive oil into a large sauté pan and add the bread. Season well with salt and pepper and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned, add the artichokes and heat until warm.
6. Place the greens in a large mixing bowl, add the warm artichokes and bread and dress with the vinaigrette and season well. Present on large individual plates with three pieces of cheese around the perimeter of the plate. Place the salad in the middle.