From The Soul of a New Cuisine.
Kofta Meatballs with Okra Tomato Sauce
- 3 slices white bread, cut into 1-inch squares
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 jalapeño chilies, seeds and ribs removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Okra Tomato Sauce (see recipe below)
- 1 1/2 pounds okra, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 6 tomatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups tomato juice
- juice of 1 lime
For the Kofta Meatballs:
1. Place the bread in a small bowl. Pour the milk over the bread, tossing to moisten the bread, and let soak until well softened, about 10 minutes.
2. Toast the chili powder and coriander in a small sauté pan over high heat until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from the heat.
3. Combine the lamb, beef, toasted spices, salt, bread, jalapeños, garlic, and parsley in a large bowl, and mix with your hands. Using wet hands to prevent sticking, form the mixture into 2-inch balls.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Working batches, add the meatballs and brown for 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
5. Transfer the meatballs to a large saucepan. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and simmer gently, stirring frequently, until heated through, about 15 minutes.
For the Okra Tomato Sauce:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the okra, and boil until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and let cool, then cut into 1/2-inch slices.
2. Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, coriander, and cumin, and cook until the garlic is softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomato juice, bring to a simmer, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the lime juice and okra, and stir well. Season with salt.