Although I don’t know exactly when aji amarillo was ﬁrst combined with kion (ginger), sillao (soy sauce), beef, french fries, onions, and tomatoes in a wok, I know that the result is one of Peru’s comfort foods and most traditional of dishes, the Lomo Saltado or Chinese-Peruvian beef stir-fry.
Nico Vera is a Peruvian chef and Pisco mixologist based in San Francisco, California, where he promotes Peruvian food and culture through pop-up dinners and cocktail classes. You can find his recipes and calendar of events on his blog, Pisco Trail.
Lomo Saltado Recipe
|Calories:||400 per serving|
- 1/2 lb beef, (see notes)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 1 bag of frozen French fries
- salt to taste
- green onion and cilantro for garnish
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp aji amarillo paste
- 4 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
In addition to the ingredients above, you’ll need a skillet for stir-frying and a bowl to mix the sauce. Once the sauce is prepared, the fries are baked, and all the ingredients are chopped the cooking happens very fast. You should only add the amount of sauce and fries to balance all the ingredients. The end result should be tender beef, crispy onions, moist tomatoes, and warm fries — nothing should be too soft or soggy
1. Preheat the oven and bake the French fries, as directed.
2. Meanwhile mince the garlic and ginger. Chop the cilantro and cut the green onion into rings. Slice the tomato into six wedges. Peel the red onion, cut in half, and cut each half in quarters and separate onion layers into leaf-like slices. Cut the lime in half.
3. In a small bowl, prepare the sauce by mixing together the soy sauce, vinegar, aji amarillo, and oyster sauce.
4. Cut the beef into medium size strips.
5. When the fries are done, remove from oven.
6. Heat canola oil in skillet over medium to high heat.
7. Season the beef strips with salt and stir-fry the beef in skillet, about 30 seconds.
8. Add the garlic and ginger, stir-fry about 30 seconds.
9. Add the onions and tomatoes, stir-fry about 30 seconds.
10. Add the fries and prepared sauce, stir-fry about 30 seconds.
11. Turn off heat and mix in the green onion and cilantro, stir-fry about 30 seconds.
12. Serve immediately and squeeze juice of half a lime over dish.