The Casual Vegetarian by Madeleine Ignon
I love breakfast. I love burritos. I love breakfast burritos.
They remind me of the last night of high school when, for the last hurrah of our Senior Grad Night, the school hired our favorite local Mexican food spot to make us breakfast burritos when the morning came. We had stayed up nearly all night, and in our tired and emotional state, those burritos tasted like heaven. It was a glorious smell to wake up to after sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor with 60 other bodies crammed next to you.
Here it is: a weekend staple made healthy, easy, and extremely quick.
Mini Goat Cheese and Mushroom Breakfast Burritos Recipe
- 4 eggs
- A splash of milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 flour tortillas, big enough to wrap up ingredients (I used whole wheat)
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (or any kind you like)
- A few sprigs of cilantro
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add the splash of milk, and whisk them together with a whisk or fork. The milk will make the eggs a little more fluffy. Set aside.
2. Saute the onions and mushrooms in olive oil until the onions become translucent and the mushrooms get browned. Then add the eggs and scramble all the ingredients together.
3. While the eggs are cooking, "toast" the tortillas on an open burner with a low flame, turning over periodically with a pair of tongs.
4. When the eggs are done and the tortillas are warmed, assemble the mini burrito by dividing the ingredients between the two tortillas-egg, mushroom, and onion mixture, then tomatoes, goat cheese, cilantro, and the salt and pepper. Feel free to add salsa or hot sauce if you like.