I always crave soup in winter. Warm food helps your core stay warm, and this soup is velvety and hearty, perfect for a snowy night. This gorgeous soup will impress your friends and family. The delicious garnish of walnuts and barberries creates an eye-popping start to your meal. It’s simple to put together, and will impress any lucky recipients.
Parsley Root Soup with Apples and Walnuts Recipe
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp dried barberries, or chopped dried sour cranberries
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp walnut oil
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups peeled and diced parsley root
- 1 cup peeled and diced sunchokes
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the walnuts and saute until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add the barberries, 1 teaspoon of the garlic, and half the lemon juice and heat for 30 seconds. Drizzle in the walnut oil and remove from the heat. Let cool to room termperature, then stir in the apples, parsley, and tarragon. Set aside. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the 1/4 cup olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the parsley root, sunchokes, turmeric, cumin, garam masala, salt, and the remaining garlic and saute until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cream, chicken stock, and 3 cups water and bring to a simmer. Cook until the parsley root and sunchockes are tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the remaining lemon juice.
3. To serve, divide the soup among six shallow soup bowls. Add a spoonful of the walnut-barberry garnish in the middle of each bowl.