Since the East African famine is constantly on our minds, we’ll continue to feature African recipes to showcase the many flavors and cuisines in Africa. Pili Pili Sauce is a spicy condiment and very widely used throughout western Africa. We’ve combined it with Food Republic’s Homemade Mayo Recipe to create an unforgettable spicy mayo that can knock the socks off of any spicy mayo found in sushi restaurants. First make the Pili Pili Sauce which can be added to any meat or as a hot kick to any dish. This quick and easy African recipe will be sure to impress your guests when used on your favorite picnic dishes and sandwiches.
Adapted from The Africa Cookbook
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 habañero chile, minced or to taste
- 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 cup freshly made mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Pili Pili Sauce
To Make Pili Pili Sauce:
1. Mix all ingredients together in small bowl.
2. Pour into a sterilized jar that can be tightly covered. Store in refrigerator. This can also be served with everything from grilled meats to sandwiches.
To Make Pili Pili Mayo:
1. Simply mix the ingredients together and use on any dish that can require mayonnaise. This spicy mayo will give any dish an extra kick.