While I don’t have a massive sweet tooth, my afternoon pick-me-ups usually come in the form of something sugary. Since I’m trying to limit my cane sugar intake, I’m relying on fruit (frozen, dried, and fresh) to do the trick.
I’ve made so many variations of these raw balls that I’ve actually lost track of all the many and varied combos, but what I do know is that shredded coconut works exceptionally well in these sweet and chewy mouthfuls.
I like to make small batches of these mainly because I like to mix it up flavor-wise and also to stop me from snacking on them too much. Not that it would be such a bad thing to do so – for a sweet treat they are pretty darn healthy. The dried fruit and natural Clementine juice lends the perfect amount of sweetness, it almost tastes like candy!
In my humble opinion, it doesn’t get much better than pistachios and pecans in the nut department and they go together so brilliantly in these super easy morsels. Full of goodness and a great source of protein and unsaturated fat; in moderation, they are an essential addition to my vegan diet.
I can’t think of a better way to enjoy them than in the form of these raw bites. I hope you agree!
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/4 pecans
- 1/4 cup dried goji berries
- 1/8 cup dried blueberries
- 1 medjool date
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut, plus more for coating
- Juice 1/2 small clementine
1. Place the nuts in a hand blender and blitz until coarsely ground.
2. Add the goji berries, blueberries, date and desiccated coconut and blitz to form a fine rubble.
3. Lastly add the Clementine juice and blitz again until everything comes together - you may need to scrape down the sides with a spatula.
4. Take a small teaspoon sized amount and roll into ball. Pour a little desiccated coconut into a bowl and roll the ball in it until completely covered. Repeat - you should get at least 10 small bites from the mixture.
5. Transfer to the fridge and allow to cool and firm up for at least an hour.