My recipe for Quick Pickled Cucumbers is an essential component for my perfect Swedish Christmas Table. These pickles are second only to lingonberry jam as the favorite Swedish condiment. The pickled cucumbers will keep in the refrigerator for up to five days, which means you can get started on your perfect Swedish Christmas table now. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the pickling liquid for the Swedish Meatball Sauce.
Other fast and easy dishes you may enjoy:
Quick Pickled Cucumbers Recipe
|Servings:||Makes about 1 1/2 cups|
- 1 English (hothouse) cucumber
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 allspice berries
1. Slice the cucumber as thin as possible (use a mandoline or other vegetable slicer if you have one. Put the slices in a colander, toss them with the salt, and let stand for about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, bay leaf, and allspice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove fromt eh heat and let cool.
3. Rinse the salt off teh cucumbers, and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Put the cucumbers in a medium bowl and add the pickling solution; they should be completely covered by the brine. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 6 hours before serving.