Usually I bring my lunch to work. I either have leftover roasted vegetables and rice, or maybe vegetable lasagna. On a special occasion or when I’ve been to busy or tired to cook, I’ll head down the block to Birdbath Bakery.
Birdbath is an offshoot of City Bakery, nestled into the old SoHo location of Vesuvio Bakery. Inside, cookies bigger than my spread fingers and palm, and a delicious bowl of kale salad. It’s pungent with raw onion, crunchy with toasted hazelnuts, and savory from grated Gruyere.
Now I can eat this salad every day at work, special occasion or not.
- 1 bunch kale, cut into 1/4-inch strips horizontally, about 4 cups
- 1/4 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 ounce Gruyere cheese, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Combine the first four ingredients in a large bowl, and toss to combine.
2. Drizzle the olive oil over the ingredients, and add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Toss to combine, and serve.