There are three words that strike fear into the heart of every woman worldwide.
They make thighs quiver, palms sweat, and goose bumps…bump. Yup, you guessed it – bathing suit season. It’s imminent and we need to take panic-attack preventative measures.
Salads are a girl’s best friend this time of year, especially salads like this that are chock full of hearty satisfying ingredients like edamame, rice and spinach. So eat up and don’t stress this summer.
With vibrantly healthy foods under your belt, that bikini will be nothing to sweat about.
Photos: Joanne Bruno
Recipe adapted from The Taste Space
Red Rice Salad with Lemon Miso Dressing Recipe
|Prep Time:||10 mins|
|Cook Time:||30 mins|
|Total Time:||40 mins|
- 1/2 cup red rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup shelled edamame, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp agave nectar or honey
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper , to taste
1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add in the rice and a pinch of salt. Bring back to a boil and then simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the carrots and bean sprouts, sautéing until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Add in the edamame and chickpeas and cook until heated through. Turn off heat and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine the miso, sesame oil, agave, rice vinegar, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
4. Toss rice, carrot mixture, sesame seeds, cilantro, spinach and dressing in a large bowl. Season to taste.