The truth of the matter is that rhubarb is a vegetable in fruit’s clothing, and our intention is to take a stand against its duplicitous nature. No longer will the wool be pulled over our strawberry-rhubarb-dream-filled eyes.
Here we dress it up with ginger and spice, smear it over a pizza crust, and top it with cheese. If you can’t depend on a lattice crust-filled future, at least you can have your pie and eat it too. And in a topsy-turvy world where up is down and down is up and fruits are actually vegetables…sometimes, that’s all we can ask for.
Rhubarb and Chipotle Goat Cheese Pizza Recipe
|Prep Time:||1 hour 45 mins|
|Cook Time:||30 mins|
|Total Time:||2 hours 15 mins|
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb rhubarb, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 4 oz chipotle goat cheese (or roll your own log of goat cheese in chile powder.)
1. In a small bowl, mix the yeast with 1/4 cup of the lukewarm water and a pinch of sugar. This should start to foam within about five minutes. If it doesn't, then your yeast has probably gone bad. Try again with some new yeast.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the flour, sea salt, olive oil, and remaining water. Add the yeast mixture. Stir on speed 2 with a bread hook until combined. Then stir for 2 minutes on speed 2 to knead. Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel and allow to rise for two hours.
3. After two hours, cover it in flour and form it into a ball. Allow to rest for 20 minutes. Roll out onto a pizza peel if using a baking stone or a pizza pan if not.
4. Preheat oven to 500 degrees (or as hot as it will go!) In a medium skillet, combine the rhubarb, cranberry juice, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, and ginger and bring to a boil. Boil until it starts to thicken, adding 1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in a bit of water if necessary. Simmer until it has the consistency of a loose cranberry sauce.
5. Roll out your pizza dough. Top with the rhubarb mixture, leaving about a 1-inch crust around the edges. Sprinkle goat cheese on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the underside of the dough is lightly browned. Remove from oven and top with basil. Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing.