Cooking the greens in smoked turkey gives you the smokiness of bacon and the flavor of chicken broth. You cut some calories and a lot of sodium by pulling the turkey out before serving time.
Slow-Cooking Collards Recipe
|Calories:||60 per serving|
|Prep Time:||20 mins|
|Cook Time:||6-8 hours|
|Total Time:||6-8 hours|
- 4 bunches washed collard greens, leaves cut and chunky stems discarded
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 smoked turkey wing (about 1 pound), separated into 2 pieces, skin and all visible fat discarded
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 cups water
- cider vinegar , to taste
1. Put the collard greens in a large colander and rinse well with cold water. Shake off the excess water, but do not dry.
2. Transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle the onion, red pepper flakes and garlic over the greens. Toss thoroughly.
3. In a slow cooker large enough to hold the mixture, layer the ingredients as follows: ½ greens mixture in a mound, one piece of turkey wing, ½ of the remaining greens mixture in a mound, remaining piece of turkey wing, and rest of the greens in a mound. Stir the sugar into the water and pour the mixture over the greens.
4. Set the cooker to low and cook, covered, until the desired tenderness, 6 to 8 hours. Remove and discard the turkey wing pieces. Serve hot. Pass the vinegar to sprinkle on top.