This pasta is a tribute to one of my favorite neighborhoods of New York City: Little Italy. It has a hint of spiciness, and brings a depth of flavor to your meal. The sharp and peppery arugula adds a fantastic texture to this airy pasta. It’s simply angelic!
Here are a few more of my favorite pasta dishes:
Spicy Tomato-Arugula Angel Hair Recipe
- 2 yellow tomatoes, diced
- 3 red tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 pound dried angel hair pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- One 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped arugula
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Anaheim chiles, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place the yellow tomatoes and red tomatoes in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the sea salt and let sit for 40 minutes.
2. Bring 4 cups salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 4 minutes. Strain and rinse. Set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallots and saute until the shallots are softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Toss the sauce with the pasta, the salted tomatoes, the arugula, pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, and chiles and heat until warmed through. Season with salt and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Serve immediately.