Tomato soup may not seem like the most summery thing in the world, but I’m getting a bit tired of all this “summer food.” Sometimes I just want a nice, hearty soup. And besides, tomato season is here and you should really be making the most of that, so why not create a tasty and nutritious soup for Meatless Monday?
This is a tomato soup that I just threw together one day and really loved. It’s got a nice kick of spiciness while still showcasing the fresh tomato flavor.
Makes 2 large servings or 4 small ones.
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled and hard stems removed
- 1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook until softened, maybe 10 minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste and Sriracha and mix in with vegetables. Cook for another 30-45 seconds.
3. With your hands, crush the tomatoes over the pot and drop them and their juices directly into the pot.
4. Add the stock and bring mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
5. Simmer mixture for about 40 minutes.
6. In a blender or with an immersion blender, blend soup until it reach a fine consistency. Serve.